[ilds] how many daughters hath Durrell?

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 10 15:40:23 PDT 2007

Two daughters.  One by Nancy, one by Eve.  Nancy took away his first
daughter in 1942.  Eve took away his second daughter in 1955.  Durrell
could have been writing to either daughter.  But in Bitter Melons he
only ever lets on about one daughter.  So we are to assume he is
writing to that same daughter, the one he brought with him to Cyprus,
the one his mother was looking after, the one whose mother was under
observation at Trieste, the daughter who has now gone away.  Bit by bit
he tells us quite a bit in Bitter Melons about writing Justine.

:Michael