[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- "to post with such dexterity"

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Jul 10 10:32:55 PDT 2007

On 7/10/2007 1:09 PM, Pamela Francis wrote:

>Charles--I will be happy to comply, although I am presently working 8 hours
>a day, then coming home to read (for another 6 or so hours) any one of the
>87 books and articles on my comprehensive exams list, which must be
>completed by Sept. 17.  But I actually presented a postcolonial reading of
>Bitter Lemons at Louisville a few years ago--but now that I think about it,
>you were mightily sick and didn't make it to the panel--maybe I can dig it
>out, again in my copious free time.
>
>I knew I would get sucked into this list serve if I ever started...I'm not
>sure how you guys find the time to post so often...I felt guilty all weekend
>for spending time trying to make a simple point.  And now, a boss is looking
>over my shoulder.  But when I go home I will do my best to demonstrate that
>a po-co reading of a work of literature does no more disservice to it than
>applying the author's personal life (divorces, etc.) to the text. --Pamela

Thank you for promising to post on things post---, Pamela.  Yes.  I
recall that time at Louisville.  A bad little bug that year, indeed.
And I recall Jamie stepping up and filling in.  Thanks again, Jamie.  No
worries that it might happen again.  These days, whenever I travel to
Louisville, I always bring along a doctor--Dr. William Lee.

You mention that you fear "sucking in."  Well, I certainly hope that
reading and talking about Durrell will never come to be seen as a burden
or as a crime.  O those dark Satanic Mills of the Academy.    Straight
out of Blake, really.

        Bring me my bow of burning gold:
        Bring me my arrows of desire:
        Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!