[ilds] Bitter Lemons - throwaways and epigraphs

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 10:08:10 PDT 2007

Michael's descripion of "Durrell's personal situation on Cyprus" may be viewed as the underlying structure of the narrative, or the "subtext" in today's critical jargon.  It's interesting how Durrell distracts the reader from that subject matter.  Epigraphs aid in that deception, in my view.  They set the tone, a deceptive one.  His sources are mainly local proverbs, historical accounts, travel literature, and even a "colonial report."  They introduce the chapters, but they do not end the book, rather a controlled and yet highly personal poem concludes.  The epigraphs give authority to the author.  You credit him for coming up with all that divergent material, especially the proverbs, which you assume are his own translations of the Greek.  He must have worked hard to collect all that material (unless he had a compendium of Greek sayings alongside his copy of Mrs. Lewis).  But he doesn't describe his field techniques, so he gives the appearance of an anthropologist diligently putting together a book on "the true Mediterranean moeurs" (p. 34).  That makes him seem objective and detached.  It also adds to the book's humor -- the staid observer, cigarette smoking, if not pipe smoking, studying the foibles of his subjects.  All the while other things about his personal life are rampaging below the surface -- and those result in Justine.

Bruce