[ilds] hyphens and posts...

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 10 09:43:03 PDT 2007

Pamela:

Thank you for the leads.  But my heart has immediately sunk when
looking at the very first one you mentioned, the so-called postcolonial
reading of the Black Book.  This confirms my worst fears about the
inbuilt ideology of the concept.

:Michael

On Tuesday, July 10, 2007, at 04:27  pm, Pamela Francis wrote:

> I would suggest, for general reading, Bill Ashcroft, Gareth Griffith,
> and
> Helen Tiffin's Post-Colonial Studies: the Key Concepts, Routledge,
> 1998.  It
> is quite handy and has an excellent entry on the
> post-colonial/postcolonial
> issue.  Also, you can read the relevant material on Amazon books--I
> think
> Google has scanned the relevant pages too.
>
> As for po-co articles dealing with Durrell, you may want to refer to
> Diane
> Vipond's "A Postcolonial Reading of the Black Book" in Deus Loci 7, my
> own
> "'This Betraying Landscape': Shrinking Colonial Space in Durrell's
> Mountolive" in In-Between: Essays and Studies in Literature, 11.2, p.
> 277-90., Anne Zahlan's "Rhodes, Ruskin, and the Myth of Empire:
> Imperial
> Intertextuality in Durrell's Mountolive", Deus Loci 8.he review of
> another
> one of Ashcroft's books, Post-Colonial Transformation in Modern
> Language
> Review 97.2: 525-6 is also helpful.
>
> I stand by my usages--the hyphen in relation to time, non-hyphen for
> the
> theory.    I still think the hyphen is best used in reference to a
> particular time or location, whereas the non-hyphen use refers to the
> discourse itself.  --Pamela
>

>> From: "Vittorio Celentano" <vcel at ix.netcom.com>
>> To: <ilds at lists.uvic.ca>
>> Subject: Re: [ilds] hyphens and posts...
>> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:02:48 -0400
>>
>> Pamela,
>>
>> Postcolonial seems to be more often used in literature than
>> "post-colonial.
>> Please, refer to:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcolonial_literature
>>
>> Vittorio

>>> nations.  For instance, Arundhati Roy, Chinua Achebe, Ngugi, etc.,