[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- post- ("with such dexterity")

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Jul 10 09:35:32 PDT 2007

On 7/10/2007 11:27 AM, Pamela Francis wrote:

>I would suggest, for general reading, Bill Ashcroft, Gareth Griffith, and
>Helen Tiffin's Post-Colonial Studies: the Key Concepts, Routledge, 1998.  It
>is quite handy and has an excellent entry on the post-colonial/postcolonial
>issue.  Also, you can read the relevant material on Amazon books--I think
>Google has scanned the relevant pages too.

Okay, Pamela.  That is a bit more specific.  But could you offer a
specific example or two of a postcolonial insight into "Voices at the
Tavern Door"?    How do you or another postcolonial critic show us
something new and valid about General Envy, Clito, Frangos, and Durrell?

I make this request because, in truth, our discussion of this topic has
failed to proceed beyond tit-for-tat assertions.  One camp says
poscolonial "/does/."  One camp says postcolonial "/does not/."  That
is, we are merely /telling/, not /showing/.  I would prefer to find
someone showing us in the most concrete terms possible how a
postcolonial reading brings new light to /Bitter Lemons/.   Perhaps a
highly-particularized working analysis of the encounter between Durrell
and Frangos could help us judge better?

I do not mean to put you on the spot, Pamela.  But then by your email
and your article I judge that you have made a recent tour of
postcolonial scholarship.   Help to show us what is what in "Voices at
the Tavern Door."

Any other contributions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Charles

--
Wake Forest University