[ilds] hyphens and posts...

Pamela Francis albigensian at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 08:27:04 PDT 2007

I would suggest, for general reading, Bill Ashcroft, Gareth Griffith, and
Helen Tiffin's Post-Colonial Studies: the Key Concepts, Routledge, 1998.  It
is quite handy and has an excellent entry on the post-colonial/postcolonial
issue.  Also, you can read the relevant material on Amazon books--I think
Google has scanned the relevant pages too.

As for po-co articles dealing with Durrell, you may want to refer to Diane
Vipond's "A Postcolonial Reading of the Black Book" in Deus Loci 7, my own
"'This Betraying Landscape': Shrinking Colonial Space in Durrell's
Mountolive" in In-Between: Essays and Studies in Literature, 11.2, p.
277-90., Anne Zahlan's "Rhodes, Ruskin, and the Myth of Empire: Imperial
Intertextuality in Durrell's Mountolive", Deus Loci 8.he review of another
one of Ashcroft's books, Post-Colonial Transformation in Modern Language
Review 97.2: 525-6 is also helpful.

I stand by my usages--the hyphen in relation to time, non-hyphen for the
theory.    I still think the hyphen is best used in reference to a
particular time or location, whereas the non-hyphen use refers to the
discourse itself.  --Pamela