[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- epigraphs

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Jul 10 06:58:37 PDT 2007

On 7/10/2007 5:51 AM, Michael Haag wrote:

> The recurring theme of the epithets is the mix of peoples on Cyprus,
> going back to neolithic times, and how they each seek advantage over
> the other.

I believe that the epigraphs are interesting in themselves--as formal
features of the book, working in concert or in choric commentary with
the text of the chapters to which they are attached.  And I do find
interesting Michael's point about the heterogeneous nature of the
peoples of Cyprus.

If Kipling had written on Cyprus, he would have used a similar technique
as these Durrellian epigraphs in order to carry a point quite like
Michael's about imperium and heterogeneity.  One need only glance at the
chapters of /Kim /and at any of Kipling's short stories to be reminded
of that.  Kipling was so very fond of proverbial wisdom and knowing
utterances (Oregon Legends, Hindi Proverbs, Troop Songs, graffiti,
inscriptions upon tombs, &c.) that I am tempted to call the epigraphs in
/Bitter Lemons/ a Kipling-esque technique.  But I will admit that is my
own strong reading at work.

When Kipling in /Kim /and George Eliot in /Middlemarch /use epigraphs,
they tend to present epigraphs that work with some glancing irony,
bringing up and highlighting for the reader the underlying strands of
the story in the chapter.  Like a greek chorus, these epigraphs speak
lift the specific situation of the events rehearsed within the chapter
into universal categories--some deep truth about humankind.  A moral for
the story.  Is this happening in /Bitter Lemons/?  Or are these
epigraphs a Cypriot miscellany, gleanings lifted by our author from his
notebook, interesting in themselves, but not deeply attached to the
chapters?

Charles

--
Wake Forest University