[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- Frangos

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Jul 9 20:28:54 PDT 2007

Does anyone have thoughts about Durrell's use of epigraphs in /Bitter
Lemons/?

We might imagine these epigraphs as a kind of general horizon or
backdrop against which the particulars of the chapter are enacted.

Or we might think of them as a kind of choric commentary.

If so, what then?

Particulars always help, don't they?  Here follows one epigraph from
"Voices at the Tavern Door":

        "So long as he has a tooth left a fox won't be pious."

What does that epigraph mean in terms of this chapter?  Tooth?  Fox?
Piety?  Please help.

Charles, home at last

--
Wake Forest University