[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- Frangos

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Jul 9 17:10:58 PDT 2007

On 7/9/2007 1:43 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>         But, Charlie, Durrell does not stick a sharpened piece of
>         olive wood in Frangos's eye. And Frangos does not say that he
>         will eat Durrell last.
>
>         I see the allusion to Odysseus, but I think it's a comic
>         parallel in prose.

No "buts" or other excuses necessary, Bill.  Comic is right on.   After
all, it all comes out okay for our hero.   Sticks are not necessary.
That was not the main coup effected by Odysseus.  The true coup was that
he threw Polyphemus's ability to speak to his fellow cyclops into
disorder.  Language.  The "Nemo" routine was more powerful than the big
stick.  Effective strategy for Odysseus on the island of the Cyclops;
effective strategy for Durrell on his island of Cyprus.  The best talker
carries the day.

My noticing of the deeper-Polyphemus here is "but" my lark on Durrell's
lark.   In our reading we should think in terms of soft, playful
insistencies as we make these points, I think.  Set them up; knock them
down; leave them behind.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University