[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- places of limitation

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 10:40:11 PDT 2007

Okay, this sounds right, but what about the great stress on being a toper?  There's something frenetic about Durrell's praise of being a big drinker, which I don't recall in the earlier literature.  Much more than Homer allusions and male-bonding seems to be going on here.  Given the break-up of his first marriage and now the second, is he off in search of a "gorgeous drunk?"  Does he need alcohol to create his refuge?

Bruce