[ilds] Solace

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 08:21:30 PDT 2007

I find it hard, given the world we live in, to say literature serves to make sense of the world.  Literature once did that -- for Dante, Chaucer, and Milton -- but few people, I think, read those authors today for that purpose.  Literature often says the world makes no sense -- Lear and Godot -- but it still gives great pleasure.  If anything, I think of literature as a pleasurable refuge from the world, which is probably the solace Durrell took in it.  I am of Akkad's party, who says, "I am not really a banker so much as a student of cosmic malevolence."  I find solace in "cosmic malevolence."

Bruce