[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- places of limitation

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun Jul 8 19:44:37 PDT 2007

Michael, you'll never get out of here alive.

But I meant something more, shall we say, limited. Like Darley's
island. Like islands in general. Like embassy compounds. Like a small
town in southern France?

Okay, you can always leave a town or an island or a compound. But at
the same time these are isolated places in some sense. Even Clito's
wine shop is an enclosed place. He won't let his wife in (though
later he is taken home by his daughter). Thank god for daughters, I say.

And doesn't this chapter move from the "big picture" of an island in
change to the pictures on a wine shop wall. The wine shop in itself
is a liminal place for Durrell. A special of male companionship,
where all come together in  -- drink. As Charlie suggests.

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *