[ilds] suburbia, bars, and topers

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 14:25:51 PDT 2007

And when he steps away from his Dom Hotel, his Xanadu, he enters a Greek bar, Clito's cavern, where he meets "the people," the Cypriot people:  Greeks and a Turk.  He feels at home because he's among fellow "topers," one of whom is "gorgeously drunk."  He also experiences some hostility at being English, but Greek hospitality towards strangers prevails.  However, he takes advantage of that hospitality by telling a boldfaced lie about his brother dying at Thermopylae.  Thereby outwitting the clever Greeks, those masters of intrigue, and demonstrating his superiority as an Englishman, albeit a self-admitted "perfidious" one.

The scene is dramatic, funny, and perfectly timed.  Did it happen?  Could it have happened?  Does that make a difference?  Is it in character with Durrell's personality?  And what's this obsession with "topers?"  Why are they "privileged" and marked for special approval?  And what about the locals?  Do they find their characterization patronizing, another kind of colonization?

Bruce