[ilds] post-Ottoman theory

Richard Pine richardpin at eircom.net
Sun Jul 8 08:45:16 PDT 2007

Marc, I've glanced at this article, and as far as I can see it doesnt
mention Corfu as being under Ottoman influence. If it does, then the author
is completely wrong.
The whole point about the Ionian islands is that culturally they were quite
disticnt from most of mainland and Aegean 'Greece', which ceased to exist
politically from 1453 until 1830-32. Corfu, like the other Ionian islands,
was under Ventian rule for 400 years until 1797 when Napoleon took Venice.
The 'United States of the Ionian Islands', also known as the Heptanese or
Septinsular Republic, existed under (mainly) British 'protection' (1815-64),
thus pre-existing the modern state of Greece.
Hence the continuing sense of Corfiot superiority to Greece: everywhere
else, Turkish culture and society permeated Greek ways of life. In the
Ionian islands the Italian culture and language permeated society. The first
'Greek' artists - composers, poets, playwrights - were educated at the
universities of Padua and Genoa and so were the aristocrats and
intellectuals, so that when the call for Greek independence from Turkish
rule came in 1820, it was the Ionian islands which were able to supply the
key players, including the Corfiot John Capodistrias who had been the Tsar's
foreign minister and who became (for a short time, before his assassination)
the first President of modern Greece.
The major event in modern times was the successful repulsion by the
Venetians and Corfiots of the Turkish naval siege of Corfu in 1716, under
the leadership of Austrian general Schulenberg, who then built the massive
fortifications on the land side of Corfu town (which was an Italianate city
when Athens was still a village) to ensure that the Turks couldnt invade on
the west coast and march inland to the backside of Corfu. Some of those
walls are still to be seen today, as of course are the original medieval
fortress and the 'New Fortress' dating from the 16th century.
So where does Mr Soward detect 'Ottoman influence' where THERE WAS NONE
WHATSOEVER?
Regards
RP