[ilds] baboonism

Richard Pine richardpin at eircom.net
Sun Jul 8 01:49:53 PDT 2007

Bill's question - 'why not start with a basic theory, : this passage probably means something, what is it?' - hits the mark. But it's not a theory, Bill, it's the application of the reader's common sense and the context in which s/he has lived and is reading. If you can't read a particular book, half the time it's because the author's context and yours are incompatible (Wordsworth in the Tropics?). If you read a book through a (possibly) distorting lens of a particular theory, your teacher has no doubt done you a grave disservice and possibly blighted your reading life. RP