[ilds] suburbia and hotels and death

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 8 07:56:08 PDT 2007

It is not me but Durrell who brings us back to suburbia, as in the line
quoted by Charles below.  This gallery of humours is the Dome Hotel in
Kyrenia, 'like every forgotten Victorian pension between Folkestone and
Scarborough'.  This hotel motif appears throughout Durrell.  It is the
cosmos within which The Black Book operates, that is the Regina Hotel,
based on the Queens Hotel in which the Durrell family lived for a while
in suburban South London.  In Panic Spring there is another hotel from
which the hero sets out on his journey; that one is at Brindisi and is
called the Hotel Superbo.  And of course there is the Cecil Hotel at
Alexandria, where people stay and people pass and people see one
another in mirrors; for all its seeming exoticism, the Cecil is
described as 'moribund': 'I had first seen her, in the gaunt vestibule
of the Cecil, in a mirror. In the vestibule of this moribund hotel the
palms splinter and refract their motionless fronds in the gilt-edged
mirrors' (p65).  The Dome Hotel is the location at which Durrell
chooses to tell us that he has a stake in neither the English nor the
Cypriot world.  But he has already used this device to show us that he
has no stake, or is trying hard to have no stake, in this tomblike
world -- of which in fact he was so much a part throughout his younger
life, including his very British experience of India.  But when he
steps outside that world, the Cypriots will try to kill him.  Bitter
Lemons.

:Michael