[ilds] Romantic Suburbanism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 07:43:10 PDT 2007

I would call this Romantic Suburbanism, a direct descendant of Romantic Classicism, which flourished during Byron's and Keats's time.  Byron in Venice liked to dream about such things, going to Greece and making revolution, then he went to Missolonghi, got a fever, and died, like Daisy Miller when she went to Rome and died.  Keats also went to Rome and died, but that can't be blamed on the Romans.  Durrell's Romantic Suburbanism is quite benign, not at all fatal, and I quite like it.  I shall take another cruise around the Mediterranean and dream about it while on my deck chair.

Bruce