[ilds] baboonism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 06:58:17 PDT 2007

This idea of a fluid self goes back to Nietzsche and D. H. Lawrence (whom Durrell cites in Key, ch. 3) and possibly earlier to Montaigne and further back.  Lawrence talked about breaking away from notions of "the old stable ego" (letter to E. Garnett, 5 June 1914).  It's a nice topic of discussion.  Durrell liked this idea too, but I doubt if any of these people really knew what they were talking about.  I think people who have "unstable egos" are unstable, psychotic, or just plain weird.  Durrell had his moments of instability, but by and large he seems pretty stable to me.  He played around in his fiction with multiple identities, but writers like to do that and that doesn't make him unstable.  He always called himself Lawrence Durrell, a recognizable LD, except during those early moments when he wanted to be known as Charles Norden.  He never put on disguises and impersonate doctors, high court judges, field marshals, and airline pilots.  Some people actually do that, but LD didn't, as far as I know.  He remained a discreet and whole personality.

Bruce