[ilds] baboonism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 7 21:54:14 PDT 2007

Bill, I take you seriously, but I don't see your concern.  I meet you in person, I shake your hand, I share a drink or two with you, we exchange stories and tall tales, I like you, maybe you like me -- will I ever truly know you?  No, of course not.  Will you ever truly know me?  No.  You may be playing games with me.  I may be playing games with you.  So what?  Does this really bother me?  No.  That's the uncertainty of life.  And that's the way I read Durrell's non-fiction.  Fiction is another matter -- that gets more complicated.  But non-fiction, Durrell's travel literature, I assume is like a face to face encounter.  The Durrell I hear, the voice I hear, is the same from Prospero's Cell all the way to Caesar's Vast Ghost.  It's the same guy I love, whose voice has aged and changed over time, but basically the same.  He's an old friend.  He's the prodigal son who strays and wanders but who returns because he's basically the same.  I don't see all this as very complicated.  (I haven't read the books you mentioned but will check them out.)

Bruce