[ilds] post-Ottoman theory

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 7 18:20:57 PDT 2007

I do not know whether postcolonial theory as taught in American
universities keeps the cleaning ladies off the streets, but some
historical knowledge of the Ottoman Empire, whose western extremity was
Serbia and whose eastern extremity was Iraq, goes a long way towards
understanding why those two places continue to be serious problems in
our day.  Durrell of course lived in Belgrade, also in Cyprus, another
very recent object of Ottoman imperialism, and before that in Egypt,
which likewise had been (technically until 1914) part of the Ottoman
Empire.  In fact from 1935 when he went to Greece until 1956 when he
went to France, the only places he lived that had not been part of the
Ottoman Empire were Corfu and Argentina.

:Michael