[ilds] baboonism

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 16:13:17 PDT 2007

Bruce,

It may be a 'postmodern move' (whatever that means), but the Durrell of
his autobiographical travel narratives is certainly a character, often
with very little in common with what the biographical author actually
got up to.  Case in point -- the journal of _Prospero's Cell_ is a
created artifact.  The characters of _Bitter Lemons_ are explicitly
called characters, which is a tip off for me...  The shorter works are
largely invented as well.

I don't trust Durrell for 'truth' when I read him -- I enjoy the ride
instead.  Fiction is, by its very nature, a lie.  It took me a while to
get over my frustrations with Durrell for that, but I think it was
struggle that was useful, at least for me and my development as a reader.

Best,
James