[ilds] baboonism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 7 15:44:57 PDT 2007

Bill, I guess I'm just too naive and trusting.  I don't worry about ontology and finding the real LD.  I don't much worry about authorial masks and personae (the old New Criticism concern), particularly when dealing with non-fiction.  These kinds of intricate games I leave to the academy, which makes a profession out of such things.  I take the "me" of paragraph two pretty much at face value.  I hear and see Lawrence Durrell speaking.  He will, of course, occasionally invent, transpose, tell a fib, even plagiarize, but I like to think he's usually doing it in good faith, for whatever personal reason or just in the interest of telling a good story.  Don't we all do that?  Why not give the guy the same break?

As to Montaigne, I'm thinking of his skepticism and the agility of his mind.  Also his use of history and classical sources.  Although Montaigne doesn't travel, his mind and imagination ranges through time and history and view the present through that lens.  Which Durrell also does.  Do we ask what Montaigne's standards are, aside from such broad categories as skepticism?  I think not.  I put him in the same category as Shakespeare (in fact, that's how I got introduced to him -- in a Shakespeare course!).  I owe much to you academics.

Bruce