[ilds] Camille and history

Vittorio Celentano vcel at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 7 11:55:43 PDT 2007

Bill:

Perhaps the Camille Paglia quotes might help as listed in: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/camille_paglia.htm

Vittorio
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: william godshalk
  To: ilds at lists.uvic.ca
  Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 11:25 PM
  Subject: [ilds] Camille and history

  In what century did Camille (I assume it is she) write this? The Old Historicism is making a comeback.

    I feel that learning has to be brought back to the center of the humanities curriculum. I can see what happened. What happened was that the old bibliographical style of literary scholarship had become totally enervated and dead, and then New Criticism rose up in the Twenties, Thirties, Forties--and then it really started dying in the Fifties--as a way to talk about the literary and artistic qualities of a text. And then unfortunately that detached itself entirely from any historical context, and you got a whole generation of critics who came through who have absolutely no historical sense whatever--they haven't been trained to think in historical terms.  -- Camille Paglia

  Bill

  W. L. Godshalk           *
  Department of English         *
  Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *