[ilds] baboonism

Pamela Francis albigensian at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 7 10:43:55 PDT 2007

Yes, Virginia, literary texts ARE still read in universities...and I feel a
real return of the close reading, at least in some areas.  And one still has
to have an "area" or "period" in which the academic is well-read; I, for
instance, am a "modernist"--however, I read modernist texts using what Bill
has called the "necessary category" of postcolonial theory.  This means i
use that category to help get at the text, but it still requires careful
close reading of the primary text.  Some academics, however, make "theory"
their "area" and their "period".  I don't know about other universities, but
the English dept (graduate level) at Rice is very primary-text oriented, but
even undergraduates are expected to be familiar with the variety of
theoretical categories--or lenses--to aid their reading of the text.  I find
it very constructive--close reading alone, without any sort of structure,
too often winds up being "what this novel means to me"--in short, it does
nothing.  Some people, of course, don't want their reading to "do anything"
and that's fine.  But in order to compete with other departments, such as
the sciences or business, which produce a "product", we have to be able to
say we're doing something.  This is a big bone of contention in English
departments everywhere--Stanley Fish, for instance, thinks we're just
kidding ourselves and should just admit that the study of literature has no
use-value, and sit around on our elitist butts and read books just for the
fun of it.  Which, of course, he is doing, at a six-figure salary that could
pay for two or three positions for instructors who actually teach classes.
Others of us want students to know that literature does mean something--that
it came out of a particular context and makes certain points, undermines
certain metanarratives, subverts this cultural assumption, bolsters that
ideology.  But that New Criticism slouching toward the MLA never really went
away; it's just been exploited by categories with sexier names.