[ilds] baboonism

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 09:35:57 PDT 2007

I once heard a creationist say that dinosaur bones were planted by the
Devil -- that makes me think that palaeontologists must be a crazy
bunch. It's best to disregard what they say... (tongue in my cheek).
Isn't that form of reasoning precisely what Bruce and Michael are
offering us right now though? They find one thing problematic, so it's
therefore best to disregard everything that doesn't fit their view -- I
know both of them have minds with more queries than that, so let's avoid
those grand dismissive gestures. They credit neither the discussion nor
the author who pens them.

-- case in point; when we take the responses to the Times to define our
notions of postmodernism, we may be confusing apples and oranges.

Andrew M. Chisholm (his last name nicely coincides with a theorist in
the department I completed my PhD through...) defines postmodernism
using a similar slippage (a messy word if I ever heard one). For
instance, by using the quotation posted by Michael (provocatively
without his censure or tacit acceptance -- did you mean to erase the
author there Michael, which is still you through the traditionally
author-killing technique of pastiche and/or Burroughs-ish cutting?), we
find it "folds in on itself" (that's an allusion to some postmodern
stuff I don't buy into). Is my last sentence postmodern enough in it
syntactic convolutions?

Mr Chisholm makes the seemingly reasonable comment:

Postmodernists believe there is no knowledge or truth, only “discourse”.
However, they also tend to hold that modish left-wing views are
absolutely true and that anyone who opposes these should be persecuted.

We've moved from the universal to a tendency here: implicitly (all)
postmodernists believe X yet they *tend* to believe Y, which is
contradictory, so we should disregard X. In other words, I make a
universal claim and then reject it as utterly wrong because of a
tendency -- I'm not even saying his universal claim is right, but his
reasons seem awkward.

Pamela then rebuts this in a classically pragmatist manner (a modernist
philosophical move, I might add...), which I'll admit I'm drawn to. I
like pragmatism in many respects. In other words, we should focus on
useful discussions as well as our uses for a text or a particular
reading. Just what postmodernism *is* matters little in comparison to
how it functions and is used by many critics.

And besides, academic skepticism (the skeptical view that there is no
knowledge, which is itself a statement from a position of knowing) is
not a postmodern idea, so the "no knowledge" claim is off. The focus on
"discourse," however, is spot on for historicism. By moving away from
TRUTH to competing narratives or discourses, we open up many ways of
approaching historical documents, even those for which there are no
competing narratives (hence, they *must* be true, right? Irony again).
To leap from that to leftism (and which leftism, pray tell), is a jump
indeed. My hunch is that Mr. Chisholm isn't particularly fond of notions
of discourse but he's dead set against leftism (I wonder, would that
include libertarian anarchists, who I should think actually have a
tremendous amount in common with die hard capitalists, who would
typically be called modish right-wing values).

That said, many "postmodern" authors are notoriously difficult to read
or to pin down to a single meaning. That's partly the point, partly the
problem of translations, and partly just plain poor writing. I typically
focus on the ideas and try to steer my classroom discussions away from
'definitional excursions' into the meaning of words like "modernism" or
"postmodernism," for which there are so many variant meanings and
interpretations for them to be almost useless apart from popular slang
to identify that thing we all know about but just can't describe... I'd
rather focus on the traits of the specific thing being discussed or the
specific meaning in a specific context rather than how I define it
within a poorly defined movement.

But, what does this have to do with Durrell?

Perhaps more than we think. In the opening of _Bitter Lemons_, he openly
directs our attention to his "characters" (do you call real people
that?) and his desire to write a book that doesn't focus on historical
TRUTHS but rather an "impressionistic" approach to multiple
perspectives. Does that mean he wants a blurry landscape or one that
only becomes intelligible as we allow ourselves to lose track of the
particulars. Doesn't this also remind us of the _Quartet_ in unexpected
ways? First the hermaphrodites, then multiple perspectives and a world
peopled only by characters...

Well, that's sounds pretty close to postmodernism to me, at least in a
slang sense. It could also be described within some notions of
modernism, but perhaps it's best to split the difference and just say
some funny ideas were circulating by that point in the century, and
Durrell seemed to dig the flow on some level. After all, would you want
to call _Bitter Lemons_ "history" or "discourse"? I'd prefer the
tentativeness of the latter, 'cause I don't think I'd want to rely on an
impressionist painting and characters for a grand historical TRUTH.

As for the "Underwear theory of History," isn't this precisely what
postmodernism typically attacks? By creating associations between
disparate things, we often reveal our own motivations more than any
underlying TRUTH. If we stop talking about truth so much as those other
factors, we might just get somewhere. After all, before we can even
consider the pragmatic value of a discussion of wishy-washy words like
"TRUE," I'd like to know better how we use them and talk about them.
What purposes, and whose, do those words (let alone the ideas) serve?
Think of the endings of _The Name of the Rose_ and _Foucault's Pendulum_
by Eco with regard to false patterns. I've often wondered how much
Durrell's false pattern in his Quintet (overtly so, I think) influenced
Eco in the latter book.

And then, Michael gives us Camille Paglia's comments (a female voice,
Michael, or are you ventriloquising? -- another postmodern thing to
discuss):

"What happened was that the old bibliographical style of literary
scholarship had become totally enervated and dead, and then New
Criticism rose up in the Twenties, Thirties, Forties--and then it really
started dying in the Fifties--as a way to talk about the literary and
artistic qualities of a text. And then unfortunately that detached
itself entirely from any historical context, and you got a whole
generation of critics who came through who have absolutely no historical
sense whatever--they haven't been trained to think in historical terms."

This is again slippery. Bibliography is loosing ground, and I lament
that. I feel the paucity of my own bibliographical training on many
occasions, despite my ongoing work in it. Yet, do we blame that on New
Criticism (which is also out of fashion just now)? The notion of close
reading does not lead to the death of the author, but rather it creates
elbow room for the reader. Also, I don't know why New Criticism without
History is the problem here -- it isn't a theory about anything, let
alone a theory of history or truth. It's a reading practice, and it
works wonders with poetry. It makes for a wonderfully enjoyable reading
experience for the reader and an enriched text as well. Think about how
many ways you could read the last 2 lines of Keats' "When I have fears"
or how long it takes him to reach that "then." Those are the practices
of New Criticism, and I think they enrich the text.

That said, even New Criticism is not cohesive, with many saying it
anticipates the Death of the Author phenomenon (in line with T.S.
Eliot's "Tradition and the Individual Talent"), yet this is contradicted
overtly by William Empson, a founding father of New Criticism. His
*style* in _Seven Types of Ambiguity_ is meant to augment
author-oriented and bibliographic scholarship, not replace it.

Perhaps we had best admit that our terminology for these movements is
generalized at best, so staying close to what is at hand may be more
productive. The pragmatist in me suggests it may be more useful. As per
Bill's comments, wouldn't it be interesting if we could explain what we
mean, how we mean it, and why we mean it for words like "truth,"
"postmodern," "real," or "good."

Best,
Jamie