[ilds] Bitter Lemons pp 21 and 35

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 7 05:38:33 PDT 2007

A couple of things that have caught my eye in these opening pages of
Bitter Lemons (page numbers refer to the earlier hardback and paperback
editions, not the newest small format mass paperback):

1) p21, Towards an Eastern Landfall: 'I picked Mrs Lewis off an
overturned bookstall in Trieste.  There had been a riot after a
bomb-throwing, and I was hurrying back to my hotel from the
observation-ward of the hospital'.

A remarkably packed sentence, full of biographical hintings about which
one could write a book.  Madness past and future, and the sensible Mrs
Lewis.

2) p35, Voices at the Tavern Door: 'But are these choking suburbanisms
with which we seem infused when we are abroad any worse than the
tireless dissimulation and insincerity of the Mediterranean way of
life?  I doubt it'.

Again Durrell not quite repudiating the very type of Englishness he
usually so loathes.  No doubt, he says, a few lines above this, Malta
and Gibraltar have similar colonies; though it is also the suburbanism
of South London where Durrell grew up, and the suburbanism of much of
British Indian life.  Here Durrell is being tender enough towards it,
and towards his British readers, as we face the outrages and madness
and the bitter lemons that lie ahead.

:Michael