[ilds] underwear and postmodernism

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 6 20:46:37 PDT 2007

The underwear theory of history

Does history have a meaning? If you're of a postmodernist turn of mind
you may like to stop reading right here. But it's possible. History
could have a meaning in the way that Liverpool's failure to win the
premiership year after year has a meaning. I don't intend, here, that
that failure has its place within an organized system of significations
commonly shared within a community of language-users, the community,
namely, of Manchester United supporters - though it does. I mean,
rather, that Liverpool's repeated failure is not just a haphazard
number of occurrences thrown together by the onward rush of football
seasons. No, it exhibits an intelligible pattern with underlying causes.

Anyway, I stray from my main purpose. This is to point out the number
of stories in the news at the moment which centre upon underwear. First
we have that Joseph Corre, of the global lingerie brand Agent
Provocateur, has turned down an MBE because, he says, Tony Blair is
morally corrupt. Next, I see that...
La Scala opera house said Wednesday it had changed course and will
premiere a production of Candide that it had cancelled after criticism
of a scene in which actors danced in underwear while wearing masks of
U.S. President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
As the report goes on to inform us, director Robert Carsen said that '
the underwear scene would remain '. And a road in County Durham has
collapsed after a sewer pipe beneath it burst. Some underwear was
blocking the pipe :
"If the underwear had not been flushed down the toilet, this would not
have happened. It was very irresponsible behaviour," said a spokesman...
And then this :
Women MPs in Israel's Knesset have criticised the foreign ministry for
resorting to "pornography" to promote Israel abroad after a feature
appeared in the men's magazine Maxim featuring four former soldiers
photographed in their underwear.

The magazine carried the article, The Women of the Israel Defence
Force...
It's hard not to see the hidden pattern. Not only Blair (twice) and
Bush; not only a sewer, hinting at both the submerged character of the
pattern and the unseemliness of its content; not only the Zionist
entity - but all strangely linked by underwear . If you reflect that
underwear is usually worn in a hidden sort of way, you will not be able
to back away from the conclusion that has forced itself on me: that
mysterious subterranean causes now threaten us with an earthquake, or a
tidal wave, of... underwear, probably.