[ilds] baboonism

Pamela Francis albigensian at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:46:01 PDT 2007

Though I can't completely disagree with Lincolnshire's equating of Xnty with
those who believe in the man in the moon, he and Surrey have illustrated the
common misconception of postmodern thought--and not without some reason, as
that is how it is quite often presented to the Great Unread Public.  But the
case of David Irving (Holocaust Denier par excellence) demonstrated--to
those that were paying attention--that postmodernist thought must be based
on REASONABLE debate.  Even though, as postmodernists, we may question who
has written history and from what location--in other words, we must question
metanarratives--we also must question the questioning.  In this case, it is
clear that questioning the metanarrative--with all its repercussions for
current prejudices and acts of ethnic cleansing--cannot be questioned for
any other reason than hatred, that is, the continued perpetuation of
violence against certain ethnic and/or cultural identities.  If the
questioning of Holocaust metanarratives cannot bring about anything other
than more hatred, it is an unreasonable debate, one which brings justice to
absolutely NO ONE.

On the surface, this tends to support the politically liberal point of view,
which many of the Great Unread Public equate with
nambypambyloveandpeaceforeveryoneness.  But I find considerable logic in the
argument that the "questioning", i.e., the denial of the Holocaust cannot
bring about any hidden injustices to those who (I, and I think most of you
as well) believe perpetuated the mass murder of Jews, Poles, homosexuals,
and gypsies (to name only a few of Hitler's victims).  In other words, this
denial redeems no one.  In that sense, then, it is not reasonable, and
therefore is not an example of postmodern theory in praxis.

Having said all that, it is sometimes very tempting to tell confused
undergraduates that postmodernism is the idea that all ideas are valid.
It's just so much easier than being, well, reasonable...