[ilds] history

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 6 20:08:44 PDT 2007

I feel that learning has to be brought back to the center of the
humanities curriculum. I can see what happened. What happened was that
the old bibliographical style of literary scholarship had become
totally enervated and dead, and then New Criticism rose up in the
Twenties, Thirties, Forties--and then it really started dying in the
Fifties--as a way to talk about the literary and artistic qualities of
a text. And then unfortunately that detached itself entirely from any
historical context, and you got a whole generation of critics who came
through who have absolutely no historical sense whatever--they haven't
been trained to think in historical terms.  -- Camille Paglia