[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- Sexuality

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 15:36:42 PDT 2007

Charles, here's one.  "The Omphalos and the Oracle," L. Durrell, Archaeology Odyssey, Sep/Oct 2001.  The article is a reprint of Durrell's earlier "Delphi" piece (no idea how the editor, Hershel Shanks got the rights to print).  Durrell is used as a lead to the main article on "Eros in Egypt," which is excellent, written by a famous Egyptologist, David O'Connor, who analyzes the representation of sexuality in Ancient Egyptian art.  (Fascinating topic, indeed.)  The blurb on Durrell has a short bio of him, including the egregious error that he fled Cyprus during the 1974 Turkish invasion.  Myth making in progress.  Anyway, Durrell was clearly chosen as a locus classicus, the starting point for a discussion of sex in the Eastern Mediterranean and Ancient Egypt.

Bruce