[ilds] DG Bitter Lemons -- A WATER-COLOUR OF VENICE

Pamela Francis albigensian at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:06:15 PDT 2007

I will be willing to back Charles' claim--and I hope others will take the
time to explore LD's poetry in more detail.  I also hope that we have a few
sessions--ok, at least one, on the poetry at the next OMG.  My personal fav
from this era is Sarajevo, and my as yet unwritten book on English writers
in the Balkans will be title "a peace harmless with nightingales."  I just
love that image.  I'm also fond of "Episode", apparently originally titled
"Nicosia".

But I always wonder, why doesn't anyone read/teach his poetry anymore?  Is
it overshadowed by LD's fame as a novelist?  Or is it a reflection of a
general lack of interest in English poetry in mid-century (other
poet/novelists have suffered the same fate: Robert Graves, Graham
Greene--yes, Greene wrote poetry--, etc.)  The Norton's entries for the era
are all decidedly poets--Auden, Dylan Thomas, Philip Larkin.  Do we
necessarily think of a writer as one or the other (poet or novelist) but
never both?  Is this sort of ambidexterity seen as sign of inferior talent,
or maybe wishy-washiness?  In any case, it's a shame, b/c I find LD's poetry
much more visual than even the Quartet.  In the novels, the characters are
the thing--in the poetry, the word's the thing.  From "Lesbos":

The Pleiades are sinking calm as paint
And earth's huge camber follows out
Turning in sleep, the oceanic curve,

Defined in concave like a human eye
Or cheek pressed warm on the dark's cheek,
Like dancers to a music they deserve...

I hope that everyone will pick up their Collected Poems and spend an
afternoon with it. If you've never done this before, it will be like the
first time you read the first few pages of Justine; if you're familiar with
the poetry, it will be like the visit of an old friend, celebrated with a
bottle of the local vintage...