[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- "This Magnetic Island" & "Cyprus After Durrell"

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Jul 6 15:11:25 PDT 2007

On 7/6/2007 3:44 PM, Marc Piel wrote:

>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9E03E5D71F3DF936A25757C0A96E958260

Thanks, Marc.  I had read that NYTIMES piece some time ago, but you have
helped to bring it out.

We are creating something of a dossier with our documents.  All of these
are notes towards a Durrellian Archive.  What do they tell us?

Whereas Durrell has slipped badly in academic accounts of
twentieth-century literary history, I find that in treatments of place
and travel--especially journalistic accounts of place and
travel--Durrell is still a strong reference point.  If a newspaper
article in the Guardian or the New York Times treats Corfu or Cyprus or
Alexandria, then Durrell is still invoked as having something to say.
That heartens me.

I encourage anyone with Durrellian news or articles to submit here on
the ILDS listserv and to submit often.  This ILDS listserv, sponsored
and facilitated by people in the academy and read and built by a larger
general audience, can do its part to undo the past neglect.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu