[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- "This Magnetic Island" & "Cyprus After Durrell"

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Jul 6 12:32:21 PDT 2007

On 7/6/2007 3:16 PM, James Gifford wrote:

>I might add, Durrell elucidates his political views on Cyprus fairly
>explicitly in his article "This Magnetic Island," which he wrote
>coinciding with the Turkish invasion.  He seems to be neither liberal
>nor conservative, merely practical with an island and people he
>clearly loved.
>
>I can dig up my copy, should it be useful.

Dig & send, Jamie.  We should fit out this archive as fully as possible.

Here is one link and article for the listserv.  Test it carefully, as
you will.  Once upon the Saudis quoted Durrell, opportunistically.

        *Cyprus After Durrell*
        Written by Isobel Fistere
        Photographed by Penny Williams-Yaqub
        http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/197202/cyprus.after.durrell.htm

Saudi Aramco World in 1972 is an interesting historical document.  I
will leave it to others to analyze the striking "angles"--some of which
they will be certain to note.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University