[ilds] ugly women

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 6 10:40:50 PDT 2007

Durrell certainly had his politics, as for example one can see from
Bitter Lemons, but they are not the politics suggested by James'
interpretation of Oil for the Saint.

And of course Durrell's interest in hermaphrodites relates to his
hermaphroditic Justine, and the hermaphroditic Nessim, those creatures
with both male and female characteristics, and who form a common beast
as described in Plato's Symposium.  Durrell was writing Justine on
Cyprus, and so the issue of hermaphroditism is germane.  His letters at
the time were full of this matter too.

:Michael