[ilds] ugly women

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 21:01:50 PDT 2007

Well, Michael, my comments aren't welcomed, but that won't stop me.  But yes, I think you're identified a major trope in Durrellian studies:  the feminine role in political activism.  It's now plain that Durrell is an unmitigated sexist:  women who abandon their traditional roles also abandon their feminine allure.  Look what happened to Justine after she went off to that kibbutz in Palestine.  She became what?  Some ill-groomed, grubby chicken plucker.  She cut her hair, butch style.  She also probably stopped shaving her legs and painting her nails.  She became so disgusting that LD couldn't bear to describe her in his main narrative.  That's what activism does to women.  Because of EOKA, Aphrodite of Amathus has fled Cyprus, her birthplace, and left it to the herms, harpies, and maenads (they're lurking under the flowers).  A prize to anyone who finds the numinous woman on Cyprus, circa 1953.

Bruce