[ilds] DG Bitter Lemons -- A WATER-COLOUR OF VENICE

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu Jul 5 20:44:55 PDT 2007

On 7/5/2007 11:29 PM, Michael Haag wrote:

> Yes, you.
>
> :Michael
>

> On Friday, July 6, 2007, at 04:14 am, slighcl wrote:
>
>     Has anyone ever put forward a claim that Durrell's poetry from the
>     1950s--The Tree of Idleness &c.--is his strongest verse?

Okay.  Well I would be of course interested to hear from others.
Perhaps I am assuming quite a bit--assuming, that is, that anyone out
there reads the poetry as it was set into its original published
presentations?

Collected and Selected editions are fine and have a certain purpose.
But give me /The Tree of Idleness/ late in the afternoon, and I "hear"
Durrell there.  Again, perhaps that volume is stronger for me because it
presents Durrell at a key conjunction, a special combination of
bio-geographical moments (places and people lived and loved) and
literary ambition.   But perhaps also because its poems are little
staging grounds for the works that would follow post-1955.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu