[ilds] ugly women

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 5 20:00:12 PDT 2007

We are told in these opening pages of Bitter Lemons of 'the unfolding
of the Cyprus tragedy' (page 11) and, perhaps not unconnectedly, that
the women are 'Very ugly ... Very ugly indeed' (page 17).  Later we are
told (page 103) about 'Sir Harry meditating on the double-sexed
Aphrodite whose priests wore beards and whose worshippers inverted
their dress -- and wondering whether the extraordinary number of
hermaphrodites on Cyprus did not betoken some forgotten race, bred for
the service of the temple'.  Perhaps this explains much.  No numinous
women for a start, only bearded EOKA terrorists.  The ugliness of
Cypriot women, and the prevalence of hermaphroditism on the island,
seem to be key themes in the Cyprus tragedy and deserving our
discussion on this list.  Contributions by hermaphrodites and those of
forgotten race would be especially welcome.

:Michael