[ilds] DG Bitter Lemons -- Corvo

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu Jul 5 18:59:18 PDT 2007

On 7/5/2007 9:50 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:

>Another hard nut:  "or on that of a Corvo, flitting like some huge fruit-bat down these light-bewitched alleys. . . . "  What's going on here?  Italian "corvo" = crow, raven.  Why the capital C?  Is it a place name?  Or is Durrell or Stendhal or both on the back of a crow flitting through the back alleys of Venice, prefiguring the Lord of the Rings?

Durrell is invoking Baron Corvo/Frederick Rolfe, Bruce.

Read as much about and by Corvo as you can.

    http://www.nybooks.com/nyrb/authors/7424

    http://www.nybooks.com/nyrb/book-search?q=symons

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Rolfe

The simile, which recalls Hunter Thompson's /Fear and Loathing/ for me,
is in every way appropriate.  Bats for the batty!

Enjoy!

Charles

--
Wake Forest University