[ilds] DG Bitter Lemons -- Coleridge

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 18:50:41 PDT 2007

"Kubla Khan," l. 1:  "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan / A stately pleasure dome decree."  The allusion doesn't work for me, unless taken ironically, i.e., the final outcome being anything but.

Another hard nut:  "or on that of a Corvo, flitting like some huge fruit-bat down these light-bewitched alleys. . . . "  What's going on here?  Italian "corvo" = crow, raven.  Why the capital C?  Is it a place name?  Or is Durrell or Stendhal or both on the back of a crow flitting through the back alleys of Venice, prefiguring the Lord of the Rings?

Bruce