[ilds] DG Bitter Lemons -- in praise of agnes

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu Jul 5 18:18:32 PDT 2007

On 7/5/2007 8:59 PM, slighcl wrote:

>     Lewis, Agnes Smith (1843-1926), Arabic and Syriac scholar and
>     novelist, was born Agnes Smith on 16 April 1843 in Irvine,
>     Ayrshire[. . . .]

Could someone more expert on Anglo-Cypriot relations confirm for me that
this is "Mrs. Lewis"?

Like Bill, I am looking at a bookdealer's description that tells me

        A Lady's Impressions of Cyprus.
        Lewis, Mrs. [Agnes, formerly Agnes Smith]
        Bookseller: Bay Laurel Books
        (Kent, LON, United Kingdom)     Price: US$ 1869.61

        Book Description: Remington & Company, Limited., 1894.
        Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good. 1st Edition. First
        edition. 8vo. pp. ix, 346; extending map frontis., 3 plates from
        sketches; embrowning to endpapers, slight spotting to frontis.
        and title, occasional pencil annotations, else a very good copy
        in the original cloth, gilt, a little rubbed. Bookseller
        Inventory # 000653

But given that "Smith" and "Lewis" are not the most distinctive names to
search out--too many!--I am worried we are at crossed-signals.

Thanks!

Charles

--
Wake Forest University