[ilds] DG Bitter Lemons -- Coleridge

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu Jul 5 17:51:47 PDT 2007

On 7/5/2007 8:37 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>"Apparently the hotel was to be an echo of Coleridge" (last page of
>"Towards an Eastern Landfall.")
>
>I assume it's the word "Dome" that sets off the echo. But why does
>Durrell mention it?

The effect is comic, the stuff of /bathos/.

        "Within the hour," he said, you will arrive at the Dome."
        Swiftly and expressively his hand built up a series of belfries
        and cupolas, of towers and turrets.  Apparently the hotel was to
        be an echo of Coleridge.

Think of the driver's /ouzo/-induced enthusiasm, and then follow with:

        Beware ! Beware !
        His flashing eyes, his floating hair !
        Weave a circle round him thrice,
        And close your eyes with holy dread,