[ilds] diversity in the marketplace of ideas

Anna Lillios lillios at mail.ucf.edu
Thu Jul 5 09:19:33 PDT 2007

Hi again,

    As a member of the Durrell Society, the intent behind my questioning of male readers' attraction to LD's femme fatales is to figure out, in general, how to expand interest in Durrell studies--by gender, race, age, etc--so that his works will survive through the 21st century.  Every time I travel, I go to bookstores and always look to see if his works are on the shelves.  I was recently in the Midwest and didn't find his books, even at the U. of Iowa Bookstore.  I like Bill's term, "diversity in the marketplace of ideas," but the big question is how to create it.  I think we're beyond feeling "tant pis."

                                                                                             --Anna Lillios

Dr. Anna Lillios
Associate Professor of English
Department of English
University of Central Florida
P.O. Box 161346
Orlando, Florida 32816-1346

Phone: (407) 823-5161
FAX: (407) 823-6582
>>> Michael Haag <michaelhaag at btinternet.com> 07/04/07 10:48 PM >>>
Speaking of which, let's hear it from the hermaphrodites.

:Michael