[ilds] Women in Durrell's writing

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 14:28:06 PDT 2007

What an excellent preface to Bitter Lemons (truly).  Two comments.  One, paragraph two would also make an excellent plot outline for a story (I shall plagiarize it sometime).  I love Zorbian catastrophes.  And two, Durrell does seem more comfortable with males.  Women get the plots going and stir up things and provide the mystery, but males are the ones you can sit down with, share a bottle of wine, and have a good chat.  E.g., Deeds, the vet of Monty's 8th Army in Sicilian Carousel.  Same goes for the males in Bitter Lemons.  Nothing novel here (Australians know about this), and Durrell seems to be tapping into a universal spring.

Bruce