[ilds] numinous woman

Vittorio Celentano vcel at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 4 13:41:53 PDT 2007

As to Epfs, I sent Anna Lillios last summer - 8/21/2006 - this message:

"I found this in TIME Archive:

Oscar Epfs was the euphonious name of the painter whose one-man show
just closed at the Librairie Marthe Voshy in Paris. Only eight of the 40
pictures were sold, but that was pure velvet to Artist Epfs. He is
actually Lawrence Durrell, author of the Alexandria Quartet, and it
seems that he has been painting since 1930 ("but never every day, only
by attacks") in a style that ranges from Impressionist through
surrealist to abstract. What made him decide to have the show? "You can
give just so many away. Friends really don't want any more." How about
that nom de pin-ceau? "I saw Epfs in a Danish magazine, and I noticed
that it couldn't be pronounced without making a grimace. And since
people grimace before my painting . . ."

Vittorio