[ilds] Corfu memoirs & N.

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 14:03:44 PDT 2007

Charles says,

-----Original Message-----

                             * * * * *

Back from the 4th of July Parade.  Happy 4th to you too, Charles.  Yes to above.  I also agree with Michael about Durrell's attempt to elevate his story into some timeless realm, where names are inconsequential (Inconsequential Data).  A fairytale.  The tale of Cunegonde is a kind of fairytale.  I don't think Durrell likes Time.  And I'm not sure he likes memory.  Hence, all the nonsense about soup-mixes, Bergsonian Duration, and Proustian/Joycean Time.  In some ways, he reminds me of Roald Dahl and his story, "They Shall Not Grow Old," another wartime piece set in the Levant.