[ilds] Women in Durrell's writing

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 4 10:32:28 PDT 2007

Durrell was still married to Nancy when he wrote Prospero's Cell and
even then had not given up hope that she would come back to him; indeed
they were still married when the book was published in 1945; they were
not divorced until 1947.

Eve could serve no possible purpose in Bitter Lemons; Claude could have
played a role, but that would have required a distracting explanation,
and she was not brought in.  I know that James makes much of Oil for
the Saint, which I do not, but in any case when writing a travel
article for Holiday magazine I do not think one wants to bring in one's
third wife and the daughter of one's second wife when revisiting the
love nest one shared with one's first wife.  And so 'the whole
catastrophe', as Zorba called it, was left out.

I am not sure what more Durrell could have said about Eve in
Reflections on a Marine Venus; he already reveals more than is
necessary; yet more would be distracting or demand a memoir.

I do think that discretion is a very strong motive with Durrell,
discretion and privacy about personal life, to a remarkable degree, and
to a degree which has allowed unfortunate rumour to surround him which
otherwise could have been dispelled.  Durrell is always aiming at the
timeless, an important reason for the distancing.

Durrell did have very different relations with men and with women; they
were very different types.  The men were more men's men and simpler,
less compromising and revealing, to write about.

The women of Durrell's fiction are, the more successful of them, those
numinous presences, those animas, which truly stirred him.  Maybe they
were not women at all, but something inside himself.

:Michael