[ilds] Corfu memoirs

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 4 08:34:11 PDT 2007

No big theory.  But Gerry is writing about his family and other
animals, and it suits him that animals and family are all under one
roof.  His older brother is too good material to leave out, and it is
too annoying having him living elsewhere and coming only for visits;
Gerry wants him under the same roof where he can drop spiders on his
head at will.  I would also guess that it somewhat recreates earlier
days when the family did indeed live under one roof in South London
before Larry had flown the coop and got himself a girl.  A further but
possibly not very important point is that by the time My Family was
written Nancy herself was long gone from being one of the fauna and
Gerry did not want to bring up delicate memories.  But principally the
guy had a story to write, and the idea was to put a madhouse under one
roof, no distractions allowed.

Nancy in Prospero' Cell is N, just as Eve in Marine Venus is E -- a
mysterious letter of the alphabet.  Nancy is a presence; Durrell is not
writing about her or his relationship with her, he is writing about a
lightness of youthful being with presences in attendance, and N does
that nicely.  Like Gerry he has his story to write, and it would get in
the way if he mentioned how often they left the White House at Kalami
for calmer weather to the south and mother's home cooking.  No this is
the writer on his bare rock, and no time for sentiment, much less
cluttering elements like family.

Gerry is a boy growing up among beetles.  Larry is an artist growing up
on a bare rock.  That is the party line.  Both stories are far more
complicated and sadder than that.

:Michael