[ilds] Bitter Politics

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 3 18:31:19 PDT 2007

Regarding the comment that Bitter Lemons is not a political book (Preface) I think that what Durrell means here is that it is not a book of obvious political analysis from the perspective a government official, but it is a political book. The menace of enosis politics lurks behing many characters and scenes and creates the tension and drama of the story. what Durrell has done is to convert what could have been, in another's hands, a dry analysis of what went wrong into a 'factional' novel in which the unfolding drama is told through and highlighted by characters real, adapted or, possibly, imaginary. In doing this Lawrence is very conscious of his sullen art and craft (Thomas) as a capable and evocative writer. My point is that Bitter Lemons is a political book, but a highly ingenious one that is far from impressionistic - Durrell is too obviously crafting the text to make that claim.

Denise Tart & David Green
16 William Street, Marrickville NSW 2204

+61 2 9564 6165
0412 707 625
dtart at bigpond.net.au