[ilds] RG Bitter Lemons -- say farewell, farewell to Alexandria leaving

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Jul 3 17:30:50 PDT 2007

Dear ILDS listserv:

The Reading Group will now move on to a discussion of /Bitter Lemons/
(1957), which Durrell once claimed "completes a trilogy of island books"
("Preface"). /

/In some/ /ways, with /Bitter Lemons/ we are moving into a different
genre and a very distinct book.  In other ways/, /we will discover that
/Justine /is inescapably, "invariably" also there in these pages.  After
all, /Bitter Lemons/, which appeared in July 1957, shares a publication
year with /Justine/, which appeared in February 1957.   Indeed, its
sales were buoyed greatly by the success of /Justine/.  /Bitter Lemons/
sold out of its first two impressions by the end of July 1957; a third
impression followed by August 1957; a fourth by September 1957; and so
on.  As these figures show, it was an incredible moment and the key year
for Lawrence Durrell as a publishing phenomenon.

For our opening gambit, we will read the first chapter, "Towards an
Eastern Landfall."  The differences between reading texts should not be
significant for anyone reading the early Faber and Dutton cloth and
paper editions of /Bitter Lemons/.  Following our established practice
in reading /Justine /as a group, it might be helpful to cite the
episode/section numbers, which are designated by little ornaments
within these chapters.

So now it begins--"not a political book, but simply a somewhat
impressionistic study of the moods and atmospheres of Cyprus during the
troubled years 1953-6" ("Preface").

Charles

--
Wake Forest University