[ilds] Freud Redux

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 11:30:04 PDT 2007

Vittorio, thanks for the two pieces on Freud in Scientific American (May 2004).  (Presumably this is typical of the debate Beatrice Skordili refers to in the 2006 issue of the same magazine.)  Everyone should read them.  These support my previous criticisms of Freud.  Mark Solms's article deals superficially with Freudian theory, insofar as it pertains to an unconscious mechanism and repression.  That framework of the human mind is not in dispute.  What is, is how Freud accounts for it, the mythology, "Seduction Theory," the real meat of Freudian analysis, and that has been shown bogus.  Solms makes no mention of this theory.  J. Allan Hobson, a professor at Harvard, goes even further than I would in criticizing Solms's article:  "Psychoanalysis is in big trouble, and no amount of neurobiological tinkering can fix it" (p. 89).

Bruce